Researched and written by: Terri Bui
On March 1, 2014, the San Diego court system instituted a new One-Day Divorce Program to assist self-represented litigants in their divorce process. If eligible, the parties involved would get help completing all necessary documents to finish the divorce process. Once the initial paperwork is filed, parties who are able to complete the program will go before a judge and leave the same day with a Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage.
According to the SD Court Website, to qualify* you must:
1. Have filed your petition for divorce at least 6 months prior.
2. Both parties be self-represented (no lawyers!)
3. Have served the summons and petition on the Respondent.
4. Have filed either a Proof of Service of Summons or a Response with the Court.
5. Have reached an agreement on all orders to be included in the judgment, including, but not limited to, division of all community property, assets, and debts, spousal and child support, and if applicable, a parenting plan.
*Respondents may not participate in this program without the Petitioner.
Divorces, even simple ones, can typically get drawn out in the court system and this program, made possible by a grant from the San Diego Bar Foundation, will allow the divorce process to be expedited. Its simplicity is modeled after the successful program started in San Francisco and already looks promising for San Diego County.
Follow the link below to see if you qualify for the San Diego Family Court’s new pilot program. As always, if you have any questions about your case, please don’t hesitate to call our office and schedule a free consultation!
Find out if you qualify here!